Monday, July 11, 2011

My FIRST race!!! How exciting RIGHT!!

So I just registered for my first of many races! I am doing this race because I love the cause. I have always wanted to volunteer in a third world country but when I had Mariah that had to be put off for a LONG time. I will adopt a baby (or two) from a third world country and I hope to be part of some organization that reachs out and has a positive effect on these little ones. I'm so excited to be training and doing something that I have always wanted to do.. two things with this race :)

Info on the race.. and yes I will be donating my shoes! A great reason to upgrade to some newtons right?!

The Racing the Cane Foundation is committed to improving the lives of these children in the Dominican Republic’s sugarcane fields. Our goal is to encourage local community involvement in raising both scholarship funds and shoes for distribution.  During this year’s Racing Cane event, runners will have the opportunity to collect and donate shoes. After the race we will journey to the Dominican Republic to distribute the shoes and host a free running event for the children there. Part of your registration fee will go towards sponsoring Dominican children to attend English academies, as those who speak English have a greater chance of attaining further education, becoming employed, and thus breaking out of the sugarcane fields. We believe that education and enterprise can help stop the cycle of poverty and give these children the option of a better life. Come join us and the Racing the Cane Foundation for this important event. All 10k and 5k runners will be chip timed, receive gender specific Tech Shirts, and enjoy a party at the finish line with Magelby’s Fresh breakfast, massages, bounce houses and face painting for kids!

Happing Running!

No comments:

Post a Comment